09 September 2012

CoC - Gaslight: My Last Days in London

I arrived on time at the Egyptian League's House. As did the other two co-investigators. We were ushered in and led through a rather pompous hallway to a room where we were greeted by Sir Jeffrey Hull. He revealed to us that he is also a member of the League. This came as a surprise to us. Amongst other things he told us that an expedition to Egypt was prepared by the League scheduled to start seven days later. He asked us, if we would consider joining in. After a short deliberation we agreed to join. To our surprise Thomas Roquefort was appointed as the scientific leader. He was puzzled by this honour but accepted.

Then Sir Jeffrey introduced us to a Captain Haydon of the 19th Husars who should ensure our safety during our travels through the desert. He looked very keen and was certainly cut out for a career in the military. I disliked him on the spot. And not only because he was military.

After a few pleasantries we concluded our meeting and Sir Jeffrey led us out. On our way down the hall Mr. Roquefort noticed an open door and took a look inside. We followed him. The room was a lecture theatre which was dominated by a replica of Cleopatra's Needle. Mr. Roquefort seemed a little bit disturbed by the room or something in it. He inspected it closely and talked about the obelisk with Sir Jeffrey. After they had finished their small detour, we went out and bid our farewell until the start of the expedition.

I went back to the club hoping Dr. Laydon might be there this evening. This would be the easiest way to start my little surveillance.

And I got lucky. At the time I arrived he was having lunch. We greeted each other and he continued eating while I sat down to have a glass of sherry. After finishing his meal Dr. Laydon came to me to have a little talk.

He seemed genuinely concerned about the recent events. Especially Mrs Kincaid's involvement was troubling him. I assured him of my resolve to do everything in my power to end this madness as he called it. I also told him about my trust in the discretion of my companions. He seemed not entirely sure regarding Dr. Burnside. Which I found a little strange. Something had to have happened between them in the past. I couldn't believe he would give credit to the rumours about Dr. Burnside. But this shouldn't be any concern of mine. Over all, he made the impression of a broken man with something heavy on his conscience.

After he had left, I followed him to his house and waited, if something would happen. And as expected a black coach arrived after a short wile. While the driver was inside the house I hid on the rear foot-board and waited for them to drive to their destination. To cut a long story short, he was driven to a country estate where he was obviously attending to a sick nobleman. So this whole venture was for nothing.

So after our return to London I went home. After a good night's sleep I started my preparations for my departure to Egypt.

No comments:

Post a Comment